My husband adored this soup. The man is not picky about food but he isn't that much of a soup man. However this soup he devoured and kept talking about it. The soup is quite easy to prepare, is flavorful and will fill out up.
Lentil Soup with Cauliflower and Cheese
Adapted From Martha Stewarthttp://www.marthastewart.com/1038952/lentil-soup-cauliflower-and-cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 sprigs thyme, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cored, trimmed, and cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 3 ounces Gruyere and/or Parmesan cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add lentils and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in cauliflower, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer just until cauliflower is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heating element. Divide soup among 4 broilerproof ramekins or soup bowls. Top with cheese and broil until golden and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with thyme and serve immediately.