Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Depending on where one lives in the world, this day has a few different names. In the UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and Australia it is known as Pancake Day. Germans call it Fasnacht. In Poland it's called Paczki Day. Sweds refer to it as Fettisdagen. In France and New Orleans it is called Mardi Gras. However in most parts of the US it is known as Fat Tuesday. But the proper name is Shrove Tuesday. Historically it was the start of the 40-day Lenten fasting period. When the “faithful” confessed their sins. To Shrive means to hear confessions.

Milk, eggs and butter had to be used up no later than today. By adding a bit of flour to those ingredients people ate pancakes today.

Wherever you are today enjoy some pancakes for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. I myself would like some crepes with Lingonberry Jam or my mom's savory blintzes.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I really think I could eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I had to work, though. So no pancakes for me. Not that I need to be eating any.
Happy Shrove Tuesday!