Thursday, August 17, 2006

When I was in California last Spring I got to try Purple Basil. Just like it's greener cousin it is part of the Mint family and both are native to India originally but it have become popular in Mediterranean countries.

Purple Basil is said to be more intensely flavored but I didn't feel like it was. I found it a bit milder and really enjoyable.

I like it so much I asked my aunt to bring some seeds over with her so I can try to grow them. I would love using it in Asian cuisine, specifically Summer rolls.

4 comments:

Yvett said...

Ani, you're so full of ideas and information. Again, something that I didn't know existed. I *LOVE* basil, though and use it on A LOT of things.

Let me know how it turns out. I'll be on the lookout here because now I want some!

foodiechickie said...

Thanks Yvett. That's sweet of you to say. I love green basil too. The only basil I knew before I was exposed to the purple kind. I was looking up basil and there are soooo many kinds! I can't find any here so far but still will be in the look out for it as I don't want to use too much of the seeds.

Mike said...

That purple basil would make one crazy looking pesto sauce. I dont know if I could eat purple pesto. When I think purple food, I think grape. I had no idea there were different kinds of basil.

foodiechickie said...

I wouldn't recommend the purple basil in pesto. The taste is very different. It's pretty in salads and good wraps though.

I think its the photos Linda Rae. I have to work on that either this or next weekend.