Grilled Greek Panzanella Salad
- 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small French bread or boule, cut in half
- Kosher salt
- 1 English cucumber, seeded, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, large diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, sliced in half rounds
- ½ pound feta cheese, cut in ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup Calamata olives, pitted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (about 1-2 sprigs)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup good red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the vinaigrette:
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle 1/3 cup olive oil evenly on both sides of the bread. Season with salt and place on the grill for 4 -5 minutes per side until bread is golden brown. Set bread aside and cut into 1 inch cubes.
Place the cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes, red onion, and olives in a large bowl.
For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. While still whisking, add the olive oil and make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the bread cubes and feta and mix together lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.