Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Broccoli and Feta Pasta Salad

I know I'm posting on a day that's not Monday, Wednesday or Friday, but I plan on also posting on Thursday and I didn't want to leave Tuesday without a post. I can be a bit OCD.

Normally I like to stay away from pasta salad even the recipes without mayonnaise because of the carbs. And although I have had success in finding a variety of recipes that used primarily vegetables  I decided to throw caution to the wind and make this recipe. I love a good oil based pasta salad and this dish did not disappoint. It would make a great addition to any recipe collection. 



Broccoli and Feta Pasta Salad
Serves 4
1 pound tri-color pasta
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium head broccoli, chopped into 1/2-inch florets
8 ounces feta cheese
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Flaky salt and freshly-ground black pepper

Cook the pasta according to package directions in a generous quantity of boiling, well-salted water. Drain and return to the pan or a large bowl and toss until coated with 1 tablespoon olive oil. 

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and cook until crisp-tender — about 5 to 7 minutes. Toss the broccoli with the cooked pasta. 

Crumble the feta cheese into the pasta, and stir in the olives as well. Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar and toss with the pasta. Season generously with salt and pepper. Refrigerate overnight, or until serving.

No comments: