Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I used to be a big, big, big fan of pork ribs. I smuggly thought how could anyone eat beef ribs. I don't know what I was thinking or what made me want to try this recipe. But oh my word I think I couldn't eat another pork rib again after tasting how good the ingredients pair with the beef ribs. Just every pork rib version I have tried prior to this does not compare. I know this is a big compliment and there might be some who disagree but I love this recipe so much I make it once a month. One of the best parts is you can bake it in your oven so if you are a city dweller like me with no yard then do not worry about a grill!




OVEN-BAKED BARBECUE RIBS
Adapted from Dixie Caviar

3 – 4 pounds beef back ribs

For the marinade:

1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onionpowder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Paprika

Preheat oven to 260 degrees.

Place ribs in a large baking dish (break up if necessary). Combine all ingredients together to make marinade, mixing well. Brush over both sides of the ribs, cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Remove plastic wrap and cook ribs — meatiest side up — in oven for one hour. After one hour flip ribs and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the barbecue sauce (see recipe below).

After the 30 minutes, remove ribs from oven and apply barbecue sauce on the bony side. Flip ribs to meaty side up (do not sauce this side yet). Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees and cook ribs for 15 more minutes. After 15 minutes, apply first layer of barbecue sauce to meaty side. Cook ribs for another 15 minutes and reapply sauce to meaty side. Cook another 15 minutes, then check internal temperature of ribs. If ribs are at 150 degrees or above, remove from oven. If not yet at 150 degrees, continue cooking until desired temperature is reached. (Total cook time average is 2 hours and 15 minutes). Sauce again, if desired. YIELDS: 4-5 servings.

For the barbecue sauce:

1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar, to taste
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste

Heat all ingredients in a medium sauce pan at medium-low heat, approximately 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

No comments: