Thursday, July 15, 2004

Niel is away this weekend with Squilky golfing in Pennsylvania. I hope he has a fun and safe trip. It will be good for him. Meanwhile I miss him like crazy. I made a list to cheer myself up.

Things I love:
1. Niel

2. Berries, cherries & grapes

3. The smell of a freshly cut lawn

4. Finding a new recipe

5. Life in general

I am keeping busy by having dinner with Isabel at Kelley and Ping's after work, Fridays I like to stay home and just unwind by watching TV, and I will be shopping with my mom on Saturday for her trip.

A list of books I have read. I found it on Jess's site. I can't believe I read most of these. The majority I read in junior high, high school and college. I need to go back and reread them as an adult.

Bold: I have read it.
Italics: Have only read partially.
Neither: Have not read.

-- Beowulf
Achebe, Chinua - Things Fall Apart
Agee, James - A Death in the Family
Austen, Jane - Pride and Prejudice
Baldwin, James - Go Tell It on the Mountain
Beckett, Samuel - Waiting for Godot
Bellow, Saul - The Adventures of Augie March
Brontë, Charlotte - Jane Eyre
Brontë, Emily - Wuthering Heights
Camus, Albert - The Stranger
Cather, Willa - Death Comes for the Archbishop
Chaucer, Geoffrey - The Canterbury Tales(LOVED IT)
Chekhov, Anton - The Cherry Orchard
Chopin, Kate - The Awakening
Conrad, Joseph - Heart of Darkness
Cooper, James Fenimore - The Last of the Mohicans
Crane, Stephen - The Red Badge of Courage
Dante - Inferno
de Cervantes, Miguel - Don Quixote
Defoe, Daniel - Robinson Crusoe
Dickens, Charles - A Tale of Two Cities

Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - Crime and Punishment
Douglass, Frederick - Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Dreiser, Theodore - An American Tragedy
Dumas, Alexandre - The Three Musketeers
Eliot, George - The Mill on the Floss
Ellison, Ralph - Invisible Man
Emerson, Ralph Waldo - Selected Essays
Faulkner, William - As I Lay Dying
Faulkner, William - The Sound and the Fury
Fielding, Henry - Tom Jones
Fitzgerald, F. Scott - The Great Gatsby
Flaubert, Gustave - Madame Bovary
Ford, Ford Madox - The Good Soldier
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von - Faust
Golding, William - Lord of the Flies
Hardy, Thomas - Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Hawthorne, Nathaniel - The Scarlet Letter
Heller, Joseph - Catch 22
Hemingway, Ernest - A Farewell to Arms
Homer - The Iliad
Homer - The Odyssey

Hugo, Victor - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hurston, Zora Neale - Their Eyes Were Watching God
Huxley, Aldous - Brave New World(LOVED IT)
Ibsen, Henrik - A Doll's House
James, Henry - The Portrait of a Lady
James, Henry - The Turn of the Screw
Joyce, James - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Kafka, Franz - The Metamorphosis
Kingston, Maxine Hong - The Woman Warrior
Lee, Harper - To Kill a Mockingbird(LOVED IT!!!!)
Lewis, Sinclair - Babbitt
London, Jack - The Call of the Wild
Mann, Thomas - The Magic Mountain
Marquez, Gabriel García - One Hundred Years of Solitude
Melville, Herman - Bartleby the Scrivener
Melville, Herman - Moby Dick
Miller, Arthur - The Crucible
Morrison, Toni - Beloved

O'Connor, Flannery - A Good Man is Hard to Find
O'Neill, Eugene - Long Day's Journey into Night
Orwell, George - Animal Farm
Pasternak, Boris - Doctor Zhivago
Plath, Sylvia - The Bell Jar
Poe, Edgar Allan - Selected Tales
Proust, Marcel - Swann's Way
Pynchon, Thomas - The Crying of Lot 49
Remarque, Erich Maria - All Quiet on the Western Front
Rostand, Edmond - Cyrano de Bergerac
Roth, Henry - Call It Sleep
Salinger, J.D. - The Catcher in the Rye(LOVED IT)
Shakespeare, William - Hamlet
Shakespeare, William - Macbeth
Shakespeare, William - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Shakespeare, William - Romeo and Juliet
Shaw, George Bernard - Pygmalion
Shelley, Mary - Frankenstein
Silko, Leslie Marmon - Ceremony
Solzhenitsyn, Alexander - One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Sophocles - Antigone
Sophocles - Oedipus Rex
Steinbeck, John - The Grapes of Wrath(GOOD BOOK!!!)
Stevenson, Robert Louis - Treasure Island
Stowe, Harriet Beecher - Uncle Tom's Cabin
Swift, Jonathan - Gulliver's Travels
Thackeray, William - Vanity Fair
Thoreau, Henry David - Walden
Tolstoy, Leo - War and Peace
Turgenev, Ivan - Fathers and Sons
Twain, Mark - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Voltaire - Candide
Vonnegut, Kurt Jr. - Slaughterhouse-Five
Walker, Alice - The Color Purple
Wharton, Edith - The House of Mirth
Welty, Eudora - Collected Stories
Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass
Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray
Williams, Tennessee - The Glass Menagerie(SO SAD)
Woolf, Virginia - To the Lighthouse
Wright, Richard - Native Son

I recently started to notice although never believed it before but if you ask for something it will usually come to you.

10 comments:

curlygirl said...

I know what you mean about missing your husband...I HATE it when my husband has to go on travel for work. I don't like being by myself for a week or so (that's how long he's usually gone when he has to travel). It's a good thing for you that Niel will only be gone the weekend : )

foodiechickie said...

A week or two! You're brave!!!!!!!!!!!

foodiechickie said...

I don't know where she got her list. But I just copied her's. You can add to yours I guess.

Anonymous said...

Well Ani, I hope you have a great weekend dispite that Niel is gone for the weekend. Even though I miss Aaron a lot while he's gone, I only have girl time when Aaron is gone so that way it is something to look forward to... as he goes away quite often for rallies and such. It's always fun when they come back too...*wink*!

Michele
http://theprettypurse.blogs.com/

foodiechickie said...

I agree about that. It is the only time I have alone time with girlfriends or just me. Which is ok. Yes it is even more fun when they get back:)

Kimberly @ kimberussell.com said...

Hi, Ani! Love that list of books...you're a very well read lady. I really need to read more. I see you italicized "Moby Dick." Ugh...wasn't that the most tedious book to try and read? It was the only book in high school that I read the first and last chapters, and got Cliff's Notes for the rest.

My Mister doesn't go away often, but he works nights, which means he's away in a different way. We only get about an hour a day tops to chat, but it's always when one or the other of us is getting ready for work.

Ah...but the weekends? Yay! ;)

foodiechickie said...

Kim - I really need to reread them but thank you. I like TV and girly entertainment mags way too much.
Weekends is right! I hope your schedule's can be intact someday soon.

Anonymous said...

I didn't read much more than you did on that list... My classes were split down the middle - half the class would read one book, half the class would read another. So, while I and half the class would read Dracula, the other half read Frankenstein.

I hope you have a great weekend without Niel... Have some fun girl time and go wild.. Though I saw the pics from the BBQ and it might be hard to top that.

-Georgia

Rachel said...

Ooh, Kelley and Ping's! We went there last time we were in NY. I love their ice cream. Mmmm red bean.

foodiechickie said...

Thanks Georgia. I never thought of that. Classes would be split down the middle. I wonder if mine did. Me not much of a party animal. :)

Glad you like Kelley and Ping's Rachel. We really did. Did not order any dessert though. Have to remember to next time.