Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Here are the recipes I promised from yesterday. There are links to the spaghetti and meatballs and the Thai dish, Mee Goreng . There was no link to the Curried Shrimp so I just typed it in below. Out of the three I totally enjoyed the Curried Shrimp!
Shrimp Curry
2 lbs shrimp or prawns, shelled and deveined
1 onion finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 stalks of lemon grass chopped or 2 tbs of lemon juice
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp pepper
2 dried red chilies finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
5 tomatoes chopped
½ can coconut milk.

Saut̩ shrimp in small amount of oil. Set aside. Saut̩ onion, garlic, lemon grass in tbsp oil. Add spices and cook 5 Р10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook and additional 10 minutes. Add coconut milk. Cook until mixture takes on a curdled appearance about 10 minutes. Add prawns and cook 10 minutes. Serve with Basmati rice.

I always believe that I will never have anything to blog about, but everyday something interesting happens that I find worthy to jot down. I was still hungry after eating Raisin Bran this morning so I decided to buy a bagel (my favorite is Pumpernickel with Scallion…and no I don’t have bad breath from it) and noticed my local bagel shop also sold Pom . I had wanted to try Pom since it became available because I enjoy eating Pomegranates in the winter and thought the bottle was neat. I started collecting bottles I thought were appealing a few years ago. I thought to myself how much could the drink cost? I usually pay $2.50 for the bagel and cream cheese. Yes it is a lot pricier than the guy with the cart who only charges 75 cents for a bagel. However his bagels don’t taste as fresh and he doesn’t have the variety of cream cheeses. Wow that totally sounds bad. Anyway back to the Pom story. It ended up costing $4.00. Well at least that is what this store charges. I was willing to pay an extra $2.00 but I ended paying an extra $4.00.
I think I will just stick to eating Pomegranates. I did get a neat bottle for $4.00 ha ha ha!
My coworker Michelle gave me the great idea to save the juice because they go great with Vodka or a Martini. Anyone interested?
I froze the left over spaghetti and meatballs and for two weekends I will not have to cook. I also heard that tomato sauce gets better after it sits a while in the fridge/freezer. I hope so. Once I reheat it I’ll ad more garlic and other Italian seasonings and see if it helps the taste. Although I enjoy cooking I am busy on weekends with other things to do as most people are.
I also have a lot of Mustard Greens left over from my cooking Thai experience. Luckily I found a recipe to use the Mustard Greens in. It sounds good. I hope it tastes good also.
Tonight I am making Chicken and Dumplings. I tried making it in our crock pot which was tasty, but I want to see how it is in a Dutch Oven.



No comments: