Monday, February 08, 2016

Healthy Zucchini Soft "Taco" Shells

I never planned on not posting for the fall of 2015. I let just life get in the way and I was in a bit of a cooking slump. I was using recipes I had over and over. Nothing new captured my eye. And though I can't promise I will post three times a week, I will try. This recipe is for tortilla shell made out of zucchini. Yes you heard right. And it was so good. I am still testing the recipe out to make it the right texture for me I very much enjoyed the flavors. Especially with fish and shrimp. It is a healthier alternative.



Healthy Zucchini Soft "Taco" Shells

Ingredients
4 cups  zucchini, coarsely grated
1 large egg
1/2 cup (120ml) grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (60ml) bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove as much moisture as you can from the zucchini. Add zucchini to large bowl and mix in remainder of the taco shell ingredients (egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cumin). Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or oven proof baking mat. Scoop about ¼ cup of mixture and press down on baking pan into a thin circle, about 5” wide. Repeat for remainder of mixture. Bake shells for about 25 minutes, or until the shells look “crisp’ and brown around the edges. We like to bake the shells a little longer for a more charred texture and flavor. Just be careful to not bake too long or else the shells dry out and are hard to peel off. After zucchini soft taco shells are cool, gently peel them off the parchment paper.

No comments: