Monday, February 22, 2016

Cherry Almond Bars




I was going to a friends house for dinner and I wanted to bring dessert. I knew I had a can of cherry preserves I never got to use. I searched the web for a bit where I found the recipe for Stacy Snacks. I love a dessert recipe with almond in it. It was quick to make and so very good. A winner.
adapted from 

Cherry Almond Bars


1 cup shortening
1 cup Truvia Baking Blend or 2 cups sugar(I used brown sugar)
3 cups flour
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling

Almond Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1-2 tablespoons milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 15x10 jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray
Combine shortening and Truvia Baking Blend and mix until creamed together
Add flour, eggs, vanilla, almond extract and salt, combine well
Press about ¾ of dough into prepared pan
Spread on cherry pie filling
Dot with remaining dough
Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown
Cool about 15 minutes
Drizzle with Almond Glaze, cut into bars to serve

Notes
These bar cookies also freeze well. Wrap in plastic and freeze in airtight container.

No comments: