Friday, April 24, 2015

Armenian Monte to honor the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide

On the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide I would like to post my paternal grandmother's recipe for Monte. This warm and delicious dish is dumplings filled with meat. Armenians depending on the region of Armenia they are from make Monte differently. My Anik metz ma ma put chicken in her filling, then baked the dough until golden. Then boiled it in chicken stock till aldente. Then served it topped with garlicky plain yogurt. My mother and grandmothers used to make their yogurt, dough from scratch, and boil the chicken and take the meat off. Now I use wontan wrappers and pre-made chicken but it is as good. Monte always makes me think of home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I made Manti from scratch ONCE, then resorted to making the filling and stuffing shell pasta with it. :) I'm definitely overdue for trying it again - from scratch that is. Did you have a chance to take part in any of the 100th festivities? I was glad I was able to get to Boston for some of the goings-on. I was pleasantly surprised at how BIG this event was worldwide!! Now if only the Turkish government would get on board ...