Happy New Year! Let's start the new year with a nice Pasta e Fagioli recipe shall we? And for good measure let's throw in some garlic bread with it. Throw caution to the wind. It's cold and one wants something substantial to warm their bones.
Pasta E Fagiolie adapted from Epicurious
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 16-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, freshly cooked
- Grated Parmesan
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Add parsley, basil and oregano and simmer until tomatoes soften, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon, about 15 minutes. Add beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Place pasta in bowl. Toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Pour sauce over and toss thoroughly. Serve, passing Parmesan separately.