Monday, May 27, 2013

Asian Ramen Salad

I know I have been posting nothing but salad recipe lately but sometime ago I realized there weren't many leafy greens and vegetables in my meal plans; plus the weather has been cooling down in the North East and I don't really want to eat as many heavy meals. I also like trying to find as many recipes as I can for salads and veggies. This recipe my husband really enjoyed. You can eat it as a meal or pair it with some soy glazed salmon. Yum. Also not sure why my pics are stretched like that. I am trying to figure it out. My apologies. 







Asian Ramen Salad

{Makes about 12 servings}
Ingredients
2 bags of coleslaw mix
3 packages of Chicken Ramen Noodles - set the seasoning packets aside
3 green onions, diced
1 1/2 cups slivered almonds (or whatever close amount you can find)
1 stick of butter (1/2 stick workds just fine in my experience, but Ann says use the whole stick!)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup salad vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
flavor packets from Ramen noodles (3 of them)

Directions
Place the three "bricks" of Ramen noodles into a gallon bag. Using a mug or your fist, gently break apart the Ramen noodles into bite size pieces. Melt the stick of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Ramen noodles (not the seasoning packets) and slivered almonds, stir, and cook until toasted and lightly browned. Spread out on a cookie sheet and set aside to cool.

In a medium Ziploc container with a tight fitting lid, place the vinegar, oil, sugar, and the seasoning from the three Ramen packets. Close the lid tightly (the screw top ones work best) and shake to combine ingredients to make a dressing. Set aside.

Just prior to serving, add the coleslaw and green onions to large serving bowl. Top with the toasted Ramen noodle/almond mixture and the dressing. Use two large spoons to toss and mix together all ingredients. Serve immediately.

*You can prepare the sauce and toasted ingredients up to a day or two ahead of time. Keep them stored in separate airtight containers, and when you are ready to serve your salad, just empty both containers over the coleslaw/green onion mix, toss and serve!

No comments: