Bacon and Brussel Sprout Salad
Adapted from a Pinch of Yum
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped
- 4 dozen brussel sprouts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Cook and crumble the bacon.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon and orange into a large bowl with the shallots. Pour the oil into the bowl in a steady stream, whisking to form an emulsion (it should appear more creamy and less transparent). Season generously with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using a mandoline, shave the brussel sprouts (not including the stems) into thin slices to make a shredded/slaw texture. I rinsed and dried mine again after shaving them just to be sure they were totally clean.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until chopped coarsely. Add ¾ of the almonds, cheese, and bacon to the shredded brussel sprouts; toss to combine. When ready to serve, toss with the dressing and sprinkle remaining almonds, cheese, and bacon over the top. If needed, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil and toss.
The serving size depends on how you are eating it. If it’s for an entree sized portion, you’ll get about 8-10 servings. If it’s a side, it could be closer to 14. We served this on Mother’s Day with eleven people and we had some left over. Keep in the fridge for 1-2 days.