I love French Toast. It is my favorite breakfast food to order at a diner. It says comfort food to me. It is just so perfect. And what a nice meal to enjoy tomorrow after staying up tonight to ring in the New Year. I liked that the recipe had me baking it instead of pan frying. It was very tasty but I think I used too much bread. So next time less bread or just more liquid. Or maybe separate pans? And I will melt the butter and sugar on top of the stove. It will blend better with one another.
Baked French Toast
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
1. Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar....stir till mixed.
2. Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan....spread around.
3. Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla. Add 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar to egg mixture.
4. Lay single layer of Texas Toast in pan.
5. Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer. Sprinkle brown sugar & cinnamon before next layer*
6. Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast. Spread thin layer of butter.
7. Spoon on remaining egg mixture.
8. Cover & chill in fridge overnight.
9. Sprinkle lightly with white sugar & cinnamon. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (covered for the first 30 minutes).
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
11. Serve with warm maple syrup.