Monday, November 26, 2012


I don't think I have enjoyed too many cornbread recipes because they were dry. But I knew this recipe would be my one and only. The cornbread is stuffed with cheese, corn and jalapeno. It is superb with chili. And I like to only eat corn chips with chili. And sour cream. And cheddar cheese. Ahem. 




Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread 


  • Ingredients

    1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons pickled sliced jalapeño peppers
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan. Combine the cornmeal, flour, 4 ounces of the grated Manchego, the sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Mince 1 tablespoon of the jalapeños and combine it with the milk, oil, and eggs in a small bowl; mix well. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. I also added about a cup or so of cheddar cheese. Pour into the prepared pan.
Lay the remaining jalapeño slices on top of the batter approximately 3 inches apart (the idea is for each piece of cornbread to get a slice of jalapeño on top) and sprinkle with the remaining 2 ounces of Manchego. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Serve warm.




1 comment:

Jesser said...

This looks tasty. I do love jalepenos and cheddar. I've made some bread a couple of times that featured them and yes, awesome with chili.

My SMIL makes cornbread that is like what you describe - pretty dry and tasteless. Meh. She describes what I make as "Yankee cornbread." Mine has sugar and flour and milk in it. It is not dry. Cornbread isn't my favorite, per se, but the kids LOVE it and we make it in the dutch oven when we're camping which seems like magic to them.