Monday, October 22, 2012






It has been a rough summer that topped off a rough couple of years. Though I have been trying new recipes and saving the ones I liked knowing I would eventually come back to blogging. I thinkthe routine of posting will help me cope better.  And one my favorite foods to help me heal is  Sushi. I love Sushi. With a passion. I think most folks do. But it can get quite pricey to eat it on a regular basis.  So I was more than pleased to find a recipe for Slacker Sushi Rice Bowls over at Ezra Pound Cake.  It was so very good. The combination of shrimp, crab, and avocado. Especially with my beloved Sriracha sauce. Yum yum!

Slacker Sushi Bowls

Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake
Makes 4 servings
    For Rice:
  • 1 CUP UNCOOKED BROWN RICE
  • 4 TEASPOONS RICE VINEGAR
  • 1 TEASPOON SUGAR
  • 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
    Toppings:
  • 3/4 CUP CARROTS, CUT INTO MATCHSTICKS
  • 3/4 CUP CUCUMBERS, CUT INTO MATCHSTICKS
  • 1 AVOCADO, PEELED, PITTED AND CHOPPED
  • 3/4 CUP COOKED CRAB, COOLED AND CHOPPED
  • 3/4 CUP COOKED SHRIMP, COOLED AND CHOPPED
  • 2 TO 3 OUNCES CREAM CHEESE, COARSELY CHOPPED INTO 1/4-INCH CHUNKS
  • 1 SQUARE SHEET TOASTED NORI SEAWEED, CUT INTO SMALL PIECES WITH SCISSORS
  • 1 TABLESPOON SESAME SEEDS, TOASTED
  • OPTIONAL: SOY SAUCE, CHILI SAUCE OR WASABI
  1. For the Rice: Cook rice according to package directions. Let cool to room temperature.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Microwave 30-45 seconds. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Pour vinegar solution on rice, and stir to combine.
  4. To Assemble the Bowls: Spoon 1/4 cup of rice into each bowl. Top with your choice of carrots, cucumbers, avocado, crab, shrimp, cream cheese, Nori and sesame seeds. (If you’d like, add soy sauce, chili sauce or wasabi, to taste.) Serve immediately

No comments: