Friday, November 05, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese

I admit it. I love, love, love macaroni and cheese from a box. The easiness of it all. And to me it tastes just fantastic. Plus my local market even carries a whole wheat version of it. I don't think of it as pasta. Although it obviously is. I was curious to try one of the gazzillion recipes out there for mac and cheese made from scratch.

I chose the following recipe because of it seemed as simple as making it from a box. It was certainly was that as well as being creamy and filling. A perfect side and one pot meal.



Macaroni and Cheese

serves 6, prep 10 min, cook 20 min
16 oz small shell pasta, or elbows or any other pasta shape you like
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
1 lb deli American cheese, grated
salt
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
Add a sprinkle of salt and your noodles.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
Sprinkle flour over, stir and cook for several minutes.
When butter and flour have cooked several minutes and the mixture is golden brown and bubbly, stir in milk.
Stir and cook until smooth and thick. Season with salt to taste. You can also add mustard, cayenne, Tabasco, lemon pepper, etc.. to taste at this point.
Stir in cheese until smooth and fully combined.
Drain cooked noodles, stir into hot sauce. Serve.

No comments: