Thursday, September 27, 2007

I made a chicken dish from a recipe I found in
Every Day with Rachael Ray. Yes I made a meal from the devil herself. Whatever. The dinner was just fine. I got Niel to eat mushrooms and he hates them.



Skillet Chicken Stew
From Every Day with Rachael Ray

Ingredients
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika, plus more for seasoning
Salt and pepper
4 chicken leg quarters, split at the joint to separate legs and thighs
1 tablespoon butter
One 8-ounce package cremini or white mushrooms, halved
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
Cooked rice, for serving

Instructions
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, paprika and 2 pinches each salt and pepper. Coat the chicken pieces with the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
2. In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan, skin side down. Cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until the skin is golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the mushrooms and scallion whites to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and bring to a boil. Return the chicken pieces to the skillet, cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Stir the yogurt and scallion greens into the pan sauce; season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
4. To serve, mound some rice on each of 4 plates and top with the chicken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee! I love your description of Rachael Ray :) I must admit that I regular make a spaghetti-with-chickpeas recipe from Her Necessary Evilness herself ...

Anonymous said...

This looks very good! Yum!

I usually find a lot of Rachael Ray's recipes call for an ungodly amount of ingredients where you have to take out a loan to fund a shopping trip. This one, however, does not seem to fit into that category.

Jesser said...

Hahah. Not a Rachael Ray fan, then? I admit, the large gestures and the perma-perky does annoy me, but I do like lots of her recipes. I also watch her show sometimes ... and by watch, I mean use my Tivo to skip her babbling and get to the interesting bits.