Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Since the 1960's Sesame Street has been education and entertaining children. I know I have fond memories of those puppets. Learning with the Count, watching Cookie Monster beg for COOKIES, Grover teaching me near and far. But do you really know what a fantastic company Sesame Street really is? I know they were pretty neat but did not know how great they actually were until Niel and I watched the The World According To Sesame Street. The movie is about Sesame Street producing different versions of the show in various countries. Each country has puppets which reflect the culture of the nation. The movie shows the challenges Sesame Workshop(the parent company) faced with in introducing Sesame Street to various countires. In particular Kosovo and Bangladesh. However it also showed the hope that the Sesame Street will bring to thousands of children. It was a very moving film.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you see that? It sounds like something I'd like to watch.

I used to watch Sesame Street in Spanish too. Big Bird is green (like a giant parrot) and his name is Avelardo. Kermit was the same but his name was Rana Rene. Bert and Ernie were Beto y Enrique. LOL! I can't believe I remember that!

foodiechickie said...

Wasn't it the best show?! We ordered it on Netflix Yvett. It was a lucky mistake. I meant to put something else instead added this. I am glad it happened.

China did something similar where they kept Big Bird but called him something else. While other countries wanted their own puppets which I get.

foodiechickie said...

Yes it is a must see Jess!

Mike said...

Did Jim Henson create the Sesame Street guys too? Or just the muppets?

Shannon said...

I hated sesame street as a kid... that show drove me nuts lol... don't know why but my mom said i would leave the room when it came on... my sister loved it... but not me lol...

foodiechickie said...

He helped to create both Mike.
Jim Henson was so creative! And that is an understatement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Henson

That's funny Shannon. So no Sesame Street for Lorelai?

S said...

That's great. My favorite was when Ernie tried to "sell" Kermit glasses but Kermit didn't want them because he doesn't have ears to hold them on so Ernie puts big human ears on him :)

foodiechickie said...

Ahh I love Kermit. I have a minin one. He sings two of my favorite songs.

Mike said...

Yeah Jim Henson was awesome. He died way too young. I wasn't a big fan of Sesame Street growing up, but I loved the Muppet Show. Those two old guys in the balcony still crack me up.

foodiechickie said...

Yes he did Mike. The Muppets are awesome!